Cassandra Mitchell has graced the Fairfax County Health Department with an outstanding 35 years of service before retiring this past April as an Environmental Health Supervisor for the Consumer Protection Program. Cassandra has become a widely influential and valuable contributor to the field leaving behind a legacy of milestones. A few accomplishments include:
- Served as a past Northern VA Representative to the Virginia Food Safety Task Force
- 1st EHS Sr in the State to be Certified as a District Standardization Officer by FDA on the new model Food Code (then the 1995 FDA Food Code)
- Past service on the Conference for Food Safety (CFP) Executive Board as the Local Mid Atlantic Representative (12 years)
- Prior service on CFP Council III - Science & Technology at CFP AEC and service on several Council I, Council II and Council III Committees
- Member of NO VA (Arlington, Alexandria and Fairfax) Committee to review new Model FDA Food Code and draft local ordinance for adoption of the FDA Food Code.
- Instrumental to FCDH enrollment in FDA VNRFRPS ( Program Standards). Coordinated meeting/training on the Program Standards with attendance by FDA, Fairfax County, Arlington County, City of Alexandria and VDH.
- Served on committee to revise and update Plan Review Forms. Individually developed and implemented “color coding” of equipment on architectural drawings (floor plans) for ease of review of the design/layout of the kitchen and pre-opening inspection to confirm establish was built as approved in the plans.
- Developed and Implemented requirement for all Food Safety EHS to test and maintain Food Protection Manager Certification initially and then retest as required every five years or provide proof of maintaining National Certification as REHS or CP-FS
- Served on Fairfax County Multi-agency Committee that devised County Mission, Vision and Values
- Successful oversight of Summer Food Service Program (14+ years)
- Multiple years of service as Team Leader for NACCHO Mentorship Program
- Certifications: Certified Professional in Food Safety, Certified Food Protection Manager, FDA Voluntary National Retail Food Regulatory Program Standards Self-Assessment and Verification Audit Certificate
In addition, Cassandra has also received the NEHA Certificate of Merit Award after dedicating 8+ years to NCAEHA serving as Past Treasurer and Past President.